Monday, May 13, 2013

Chuck Howley

Sent: 5/6/13
Received: 5/13/13
Time: 7 days
Autographed Items Received: 1990 Pro Set Super Bowl MVP

It's funny how a player can be a huge part of your childhood even though they were already long-retired before you were born. I grew up watching and being obsessed with the Cowboys based on my grandpa's love of them. I used to listen with complete attention when he would tell me stories of the early days of the team and the players he had liked. Chuck Howley was one of those players. A Chicago Bears 1st round pick way back in 1958, Chuck played two seasons with them before suffering what he thought was a career ending knee injury in 1959. After a couple of years being retired, he decided his knee was strong enough for a comeback and the Bears traded him to the Cowboys. Chuck was known for his speed and quickly became a huge part of the Dallas Doomsday Defense. Chuck went on to turn in a terrific performance in Super Bowl V and, to this day, remains the only player from a losing team to win the MVP. The Cowboys made it back to the big game against the Dolphins and this time Chuck got his Super Bowl ring. All in all, Chuck played 13 seasons for the Cowboys after his "career ending" injury. After retirement, he owned a successful uniform company down here in Texas. I vividly remember knowing that when I was a kid and thinking that every uniform truck I saw was driven by Chuck Howley.

As for the card, I generally don't like cards issued after a player's career. I don't know why, I just don't. But I do like getting all my cards that I've had for over 20 years signed. I've had this card that long and I felt I really needed to get Chuck's autograph into my collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment