Sunday, May 5, 2013

Jerry Markbreit

Sent: 4/25/13
Received: 5/4/13
Time: 9 days
Autographed Items Received: 1991 Pro Set, handwritten note.

Jerry Markbreit was on my television constantly during my golden era of football watch. He was the premiere referee of the 90's and worked 4 Super Bowls, still a record. At age 78, Jerry was still working for the NFL training refs up until the ref strike last year. Roger Goodell, however, is an idiot and fired all the longtime refs for refusing to train the replacements. Jerry was kind enough to write me a note back, saying that the most exciting game he ever worked was the 1990 NFC Championship, which the Giants won over the 49ers 15-13. Jerry also said that he had a high school teacher who was an official, and he influenced him to become one. Since being an NFL referee is "part-time", Jerry was a trade manager for 3M and worked in advertising sales. Jerry has also authored three books.

Pro Set included a group of referee cards in their 1991 set, which I believe to be the only cards of these guys. I've had this one in my "to send" section for years, and I realized I needed to get it done this time. Glad it's in my autograph binder now.

No comments:

Post a Comment