Saturday, August 21, 2010

Al Smith



  • Sent: 8/4/10
  • Received: 8/16/10
  • Time: 12 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1991 Pro Set, 1992 Stadium Club, 1992 Ultra, 1993 Topps

Maybe it was the common-sounding name. For some reason, Al Smith never got the credit he deserved, but as a lifelong Houston Oilers fan, I can tell you that he was solid a linebacker as any that patrolled the middle in the early 1990's. I actually got to meet him in training camp back when the Oilers practiced in San Marcos at the Southwest Texas Bobcats practice field. No lines, hardly any fans....players walked right through the parking lot. Such simpler times. Anyway, Al Smith spent 10 seasons in the NFL, all with the Houston Oilers. After his retirement, he spent several more seasons with the Tennessee Titans as their Director of Pro Scouting.

I've had these cards for several years now. They were in a special "Houston Oilers" binder that I completely forgot that I had. I came across it in a box of stuff that I moved out of my mom's house when I left home almost 10 years ago. Just came across it the other day. There were only like 18 cards in there and 3 of these 4 (all except the 1993 Topps) were in there. Great to have them signed and in my collection now.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work. Al Smith was great!

    http://lee.n8d.com/?s=al+smith&paged=2

    ReplyDelete