Thursday, August 12, 2010

Herschel Walker

  • Sent: 7/29/10
  • Received: 8/12/10
  • Time: 14 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1991 Wild Card, 1992 Pro Set Replay

Herschel Walker is one of my top 5 all-time favorite athletes. Walker was an absolutely amazing superstar from some of my earliest memories of my favorite team, the Cowboys. Walker was a stud at the University of Georgia and won the 1982 Heisman Trophy. After his junior year, the upstart USFL offered something that the NFL did not at the time - the opportunity to turn pro after his junior year. He signed with the New Jersey Generals and spent 3 seasons absolutely dominating the USFL. Finally, after the folding of the USFL, Walker began his NFL career in 1986 with the Dallas Cowboys. He was dominant and made two straight Pro Bowls with the Cowboys. Then came "The Trade" in which he was shipped to Minnesota for several players and a boatload of draft picks. I remember being crushed because Walker was leaving Dallas. As every football fan knows, those draft picks became guys like Emmitt Smith and the Cowboys 1990's dominance was established. Sadly, Herschel never again lived up to those Dallas days and spent 3 seasons each with the Vikings and Eagles, and a season with the Giants. I was absolutely overjoyed in 1996, when he returned to the Cowboys to finish out his career spending two seasons as a kick returner for the 'Boys. Always a fitness fanatic, Walker is still in tremendous shape, and at age 48, he recently made his MMA debut.

Walker has been great TTM for a lot of years. I actually got him way back in 1988 when I wrote him a fan letter and he sent me back THREE autographed photos. Just wanted to finish the last of my Walker trading cards and now I've gotten everything I have of his signed. What a great guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment