Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tommy Jeter



  • Sent: 6/28/10
  • Received: 8/12/10
  • Time: 45 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1992 Classic, 1992 Topps

I remember watching Tommy Jeter as an absolute beast on the Texas Longhorns defensive line, along with the late Shane Dronett. Tommy plugged up the interior of that d-line and shut down a lot of runs. The Longhorns were quite the national powerhouse that they are now back in those days, but that defensive line still stuck out. Jeter went to the pros as a 3rd round draft pick of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1992 and he spent four seasons with them, mostly as a reserve defensive lineman. He ended his career in Carolina with the Panthers in 1996. Nowadays, he resides in a Houston suburb.

Great little return here. In my letter, I asked Jeter what he thought the result of the National Championship game would have been like if Colt McCoy hadn't gotten injured. He included a little post-it note on my cards that said "Texas would have definitely stomped Alabama if Colt McCoy hadn't got hurt. Hook 'em!". LOVE IT.

When I was about 13 or 14 years old, a preacher visited our church. He found out that I was a huge football fan, and it turned out that he was a huge football card collector. He came back a few months later and brought me a box full of about 400 cards from the 1990-1993 time frame. Among them was a packet of about 15 of these 1992 Classic cards. In two consecutive days, I was able to get Bucky Richardson and Tommy Jeter to sign their cards. Mr. Jeter has a pretty awful signature, but I'm still glad to have these go into the autograph binders.

No comments:

Post a Comment