Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fred Smerlas

  • Sent: 6/14/10
  • Received: 6/23/10
  • Time: 9 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1985 Topps, 1992 Pacific

Fred Smerlas was a standout nose tackle for 13 seasons in the NFL. His best years came with the Buffalo Bills where he made 5 Pro Bowls and stuffed the middle of that defensive line against the best running backs they could throw his way. He played with a gritty, blue-collar style and was not afraid to get dirty. He finished up his career with a year with the 49ers and then two years with the Patriots (who were his hometown team). Smerlas has made quite a career for himself. He has written an autobiography (By a Nose), co-hosts several radio shows during football season, and has shown an interest in politics. He has considered running for Congress as a Republican and has indicated that it still may happen in the future.

I was a big Fred Smerlas fan growing up. When I was 4 or 5 years old, my grandpa and I would sit for hours every Saturday and sort my football cards into piles. For whatever reason, our favorite "pile" was the pile of Nose Tackles. Sure enough, a few years later, I wound up playing nose tackle for several years throughout junior league and my first couple of years of school ball.

I knew I wanted to send these cards out, but for some reason it took me FOREVER to find the 1992 Pacific. I knew I had a card somewhere in my collection that had Smerlas in a Patriots uniform. I went through my box multiple times before finding it. Turned out, it had stuck behind another 1992 Pacific card. Glad I found it, makes a nice addition to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment