Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Todd Christensen




  • Sent: 6/9/10
  • Received: 6/16/10
  • Time: 7 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1984 Topps, 1985 Topps, 1988 Topps

Good return today from one of the premier tight ends of the 1980's. Todd Christensen came into the league and didn't make it out of preseason with the Cowboys and then spent a lackluster year with the Giants. The Raiders took a chance on him (back when they still made good decisions) and he spent 9 stellar seasons in Oakland/Los Angeles, making 5 pro bowls and being an integral part of two Super Bowl winning teams. After his career ended in 1988, Christensen moved into broadcasting including stints as a color commentator for NFL broadcasts (I remember his as being knowledgable and extremely opinionated) and hosting the original version of American Gladiators. Today, he is a color commentator for the MountainWest Sports Network.


Last year, I was going through the cards in my garage when I discovered about 50 cards that I have NO recollection of. One of them was this 1984 Topps. I seriously have no idea how or when these cards came into my possession. The 1985 Topps was part of a near-complete-set of them that I bought off eBay last year. I got the 1988 Topps from the good people at 5th Quarter Football Cards.


One last fun note, Mr. Christensen, who is a devout Mormon, signed two of the cards with Bible verses (Jude 22 and Romans 13:7-8). The third card, he signed with "XV, XVIII" to indicate the Super Bowl winning teams he played on. Nice extra touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment