Saturday, July 10, 2010

D. D. Lewis




  • Sent: 7/6/10
  • Received: 7/10/10
  • Time: 4 Days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1980 Topps, 1981 Topps

D. D. Lewis was a name that I heard a lot in my childhood. He was "before my time", but my grandfather (who instilled in me the love of football) was a huge D. D. Lewis fan and talked about him all the time. Lewis spent 13 seasons in the NFL with my favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys. His rookie year was actually 1968, but he then spent 1969 serving in the military. Coming back to the NFL in 1970, he settled into a backup role with the Cowboys that he served in for four full seasons. He finally earned a starting job in 1973 and became a fixture. He played in FIVE Super Bowls and won 2 rings out of that. He also uttered the famous line that there was a hole in the roof of Texas Stadium "so God can watch His favorite team play". In 2001, he was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame based on his heroics at Mississippi State.

The 1981 card was one that I bought back in 1990 at the very first card shop I ever went to (The Sports Page in New Braunfels, TX). They often had "old" Cowboys cards in their 25-cent box and I would pick one out every time I went with my lawnmowing money. The 1980 Topps is in horrible condition (I'm not sure what's up with the white line on it) but I had it as part of that 1980 Topps lot that my friend gave me years ago. At least it looks a lot better signed than it did plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment