Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mark Stepnoski



  • Sent: 7/20/10
  • Received: 7/29/10
  • Time: 9 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1992 Ultra, 1992 Pro Set, 1992 Fleer, 1992 Topps

I was so excited about this return, and I'll explain why in a minute. First of all, though, Mark Stepnoski was one of the best centers that I ever saw play. Never mind that I'm a total Cowboys homer and he was on two of their early 90's Super Bowl teams and that right there gives him an elevated place in my memory. I ate, slept, and breathed those teams back then to the point of obsession. Stepnoski was something of an iconoclast with his long hair and his outspoken ways. He anchored that tremendous offensive line and a lot of good that Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin did started with Stepnoski's stellar play at center. Sadly for me, in 1995 he went to the Oilers. Granted, the Oilers were my second favorite team but I still hated to see him leave the Cowboys. In 1999, though, Mark Stepnoski returned to Dallas to spend three more seasons with the Cowboys and all was right in the world. After retirement, he's dabbled in things that interest him and has been active with some political movements that I find ridiculous (legalization of marijuana, 9/11 "Truth" movement, etc). Still, I loved him as a football player.

These cards are special to me because these are the very cards that I used to take with me to Dallas Cowboys training camp EVERY YEAR when they had it at St Edward's University in Austin. I would go multiple times a year and try to get autographs and Mr. Stepnoski would NEVER stop and sign. I was really stunned to learn that he signed through-the-mail and now, 16 years after trying in-person, these cards are finally part of my autographed card collection (and they look awesome!).

No comments:

Post a Comment