Saturday, July 3, 2010

Walter Abercrombie




  • Sent: 6/28/10
  • Received: 7/3/10
  • Time: 5 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1985 Topps

Walter Abercrombie was an early-80's Pittsburgh Steelers mainstay in the backfield. He also had great hands and usually caught a fair number of passes out of the backfield in the old Mark Malone days. He finished off his career in 1988, moving across the state to play 5 games with the Philadelphia Eagles. Prior to his NFL career, he was a standout at Baylor University. Today, he is back at Baylor serving in an admin role in the alumni department.

Way back in 1988, during his stint with the Eagles, a little 7 year old me wrote one of my very first "fan letters" to Mr. Abercrombie. With no idea of the etiquette of autograph seeking or anything of that ilk, I just straight-up wrote him a letter and my mom mailed it off. A couple of weeks later, there was an envelope in my mailbox with an Eagles letterhead. Opened it up and inside was a full-page letter. Mr. Abercrombie simply wrote me back. It was a great letter, not talking down to me at all (i was pretty smart for a 7 year old, lol). One of the classiest moves ever and I STILL have that letter and cherish it. I really wanted to get a signed card of him to add to that collection since he became one of my football heroes. Glad to get this one back and in only 5 days, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment