Thursday, July 29, 2010

Steve Grogan



  • Sent: 7/14/10
  • Received: 7/29/10
  • Time: 15 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1986 Topps, 1989 Topps Traded, 1990 Score

Steve Grogan was underrated. He's historically and underrated and he was under-appreciated by his own team during his playing days. He was replaced by such wildly successful QB's as Tony Eason, Doug Flutie, and Marc Wilson, yet he ALWAYS wound up coming off the bench to replace them. Through it all, he spent 16 seasons with the New England Patriots and played huge roles in their 1980's success. He essentially led the team to the Super Bowl in 1985, but Eason got the start. After Eason proved extremely ineffective, Grogan was inserted in the game and proceeded to throw the only TD that the Patriots scored against the magnificent Bears team. Grogan was extremely tough and physical for a QB and still holds the NFL single-season record for most rushing TD's by a QB. Nowadays, Grogan owns Grogan-Marciano Sporting Goods in Mansfield, MA.

Steve Grogan was one of my childhood heroes and it all stems from TTM autograph collecting! Way back before I knew what it was all about, I wanted to write some fan letters. Because the backs of my cards showed that Steve Grogan was from San Antonio (as was I), I chose him even though as a 6 year old in Texas, I knew nothing about him. He quickly responded with a signed, personalized photo and I followed his career faithfully after that. 23 years later, he came through for me again with these beautifully signed cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment