Thursday, July 29, 2010

Jerry Cornelison



  • Sent: 7/21/10
  • Received: 7/29/10
  • Time: 8 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1961 Topps, Photocopied picture

Jerry Cornelison was old-school. He began his career as a 16th round draft pick of the Cleveland Browns in 1958. He didn't make the team, so he went to Canada to play for the CFL's Saskatchewan Rough Riders. After spending 1959 out of football, he found a home in 1960 with the Dallas Texans. When the Texans moved to Kansas City and became the Chiefs, he remained with the team. In 1962, he made the Pro Bowl. After spending 31 years as VP of Sales for Haggar Clothing, Cornelison retired in 1997. He now spends some time working as a "Chiefs Ambassador" making public appearances for the team.

This was probably the oldest football card in my collection. I came across it at at card show probably 18 years ago and had to buy it since I didn't have any Dallas Texans cards in my collection. I think it cost me $1 back then (which made it a significant percentage of my card show purchases). It's so cool to have this autographed now, as I wasn't sure if he was even still alive when I dug this card up. He not only signed by card, he was kind enough to include a personalized, autographed photocopy of his own.

Note: Topps got his name wrong. The correct spelling is "Cornelison", not "Cornielson". This was why I couldn't find mention of him for a while when I was researching him.

No comments:

Post a Comment