Friday, July 16, 2010

R. C. Thielemann




  • Sent: 7/1/10
  • Received: 7/15/10
  • Time: 14 days
  • Autographed Items Received: 1983 Topps, 1985 Topps

R. C. (which stands for Ray Charles, incidentally) Thielemann spent 8 seasons as the anchor, along with Jeff Van Note, on the Falcons offensive line. This time frame included 3 Pro Bowl trips. Unfortunately, the Falcons never really turned the corner into a winning team at that point, and he toiled in relative obscurity. In 1985, his fortunes turned when he signed with the Washington Redskins and joined the famous "Hogs" offensive line. After the 1987 season, Thielemann finally got his Super Bowl ring. He then played one more season and retired after a fulfilling 12 year career. He now works as the president of a mortgage company in Alpharetta, GA.

I had the 1985 Topps as part of the large lot of them I purchased on eBay a couple of years ago. I had a soft spot for these cards because they are some of the first I remember begging my mom to purchase for me when I was a kid. I remember them coming in the cello blister packs with the three different stacks and you could see the top card in each stack. That was different than anything Topps did for a few years after that. I collected a lot of these back then, but my older cousin ripped me off all the time and wound up with most of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment